Can you believe it is December already? It’s the time of year that preparing for the Holiday’s is in full swing. Christmas trees, lights, music, and smells all bringing sweet memories from past years. This time of year also brings more vehicles out on the road for holiday shopping and travel. According to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics, “most long-distance holiday travel, about 91 percent, is by personal vehicle”. To help you prepare for your holiday travels, Eurasian Auto Repair has created a list of items that need to be checked before you get on the road.
Under the hood
- Fluids - Your vehicle requires multiple fluids to run properly. Hitting the road for a long distance trip without checking them can be detrimental to your vehicle’s performance and safety. Some of the most important fluids to check include engine oil, coolant, power steering fluid, brake fluid, and windshield washer fluid.
- Belts & Hoses - Traveling with worn, cracked, or soft belts and/or hoses can put a halt to your travel plans and leave you with unexpected expenses. Having them checked beforehand can save you a headache while on the road.
- Charging System - A faulty charging system can keep you from getting your car started after a stop at the gas station or after a long cold night. Your alternator, battery, and other charging system components should be inspected by a professional.
Around the Car
- Tires - When the weather changes your tire pressure can fluctuate. Driving without the proper tire pressure can result in poor gas mileage and can accelerate tire wear and tear. Additionally, over time your tires can become worn, cracked, and low on tread. A tire in poor condition can go flat or even blow out while you are driving.
- Windshield Wipers - While traveling a long distance you never know when you might come across road-conditions where you will need to use your windshield wipers. Visibility is important on the road, especially at night. Checking the condition and effectiveness of your windshield wipers can help ensure visibility on the road.
All of these items under the hood and around the car should be checked to ensure safe and smooth holiday travels. If you have any questions about getting your vehicles inspected before you travel for the holidays or need to schedule an appointment please give us a call.
Make an Appointment